Friday, October 10, 2008

Intro

2008 is the new 2003

Disk One: This Is Me,

The Meters- Cissy Strut
Justin Timberlake- Senorita
Jack Johnson- Better Together
Gary Allen (?)- Nothing On But The Radio
Squeeze- If I Didn't Love You
C-Rex- Smoke Drugs
Q-Tip- Barely In Love
M.I.A.- Sunshowers
Caetano Veloso- Cuccuruccu Paloma
Dane Cook- Itchy A*****e
The Jimi Hendrix Experence- Wait Until Tommorow
David Bowie- China Girl
Naughty By Nature- Feel Me Flow
Pilot- It's Magic
Elvis Costello- No Action (early version)
John Lennon- Look At Me
Joanna Newsom- Bridges and Ballons
Joni Mitchell- Help Me
Aimee Mann- Driving Sideways

Disk Two: Trying To Impress You.

David Bowie- Queen Bitch
Basement Jaxx- Hot 'N Cold
Bonnie Raitt- Cure For Love
Phoenix- If I Ever Feel Better
Bebel Gilberto- Baby
T-Rex- Cosmic Dancer
Hall & Oates- I'm Just A Kid (Don't Make Me Feel Like A Man)
Melvern Taylor- Sad And Blue
Belle & Sebastian- Seeing Other People
Yeah Yeah Yeahs- Y Control
Jay-Z- I Just Want To Love U
Steely Dan- Hey Nineteen
Gilbert O'Sullivan- Alone Again, Naturally
Gerry Rafferty- Right Down The Line
Lou Reed- Kicks
Kelis- Milkshake
Fleetwood Mac- Hold Me
Cody Chesnutt- The Seed
Kevie Kev- Waterbed Kev
Hot Butter- Popcorn




2008 is the new 2003 is my new exciting. We are going to 1: publish our own epic mix tapes of the present and past (not the music of course, just the artist and track names) 2: invite the brave to email us theirs 3: listen to them 4: make fun of them 5: (sometimes) praise them, but don't count on the last one.

Its going to be like High Fidelity with out the British and minus the genius writing.

Its going to be AWESOME.

4 comments:

Spencer said...

Of course the first thing that sticks out, Sam, is that you're basically making the same mix tape to impress people now that you would have made in 2003 (with a few "new" jams peppered in.) This isn't a bad thing, it just shows me that you're still creepy. Also, a generation gap between you and I becomes apparent mainly in that you refer to "No Action" by Elvis Costello as the "old version" rather than just "No Action" as it appeared on 'This Year's Model." This let's me know that you simply stole your Elvis catalogue from somebody's poorly managed iTunes collection, rather than slugging it out the old fashioned way and knowing where these jams actually came from. It's not your fault, you're simply a product of your society.

Let's really dig in.

Disk(k?) Uno:
Meters- let's you know at least a finger bang is in inevitable.

JT: I liked it better when it was known as MJ (black version please)

Jack Johnson: Sam holds on to this so in hopes that when she travels back to her hometown she can still relate to her old "surf friends" and still has a chance to get laid at various basement parties. Song: F- Intentions B+

Gary Allen: meh, music for your dad to get greasy to.

Squeeze: A+

C-Rex: This is the side of Sam that thinks it's OK to drop an N-bomb at a party whilst wearing hi tops.

Q-Tip: you're still welcome for giving you this unreleased jam. Still...A+

MIA: This means Sam wants to seem super cool, but doesn't want to just list "Paper Planes, " which would seem too obvious, but is actually the only MIA song she truly loves.

Caetano Veloso: Like Sam, I listen to this because my cooler friends have it all on vinyl and you put it on every mix tape to make your horizons look more broad. I've grown to love it, but it originates from a place of fear. What she really would have preferred here is "Steal My Sunshine" by Len.

Dane Cook: I love it when I'm watching a stand up comedian who is "edgy" and he suddenly busts in to a christian tirade. By that I mean pro-christian. Dane Cook is a no talent ass clown. Coming from someone who has no problem buying a friend an entire bouquet of baby's breath, I expect much more from Sam.

Jimi- can't fuck with it.

David Bowie: not my favorite, but at least we know Sam has watched "The Life Aquatic" at least 12 times.

Naughty By Nature: OPP??? Anybody, Anybody? Just me??? Cool.

Pilot: Here's where Sam really shines.

Elvis: a true gem

John Lennon: me so sensitive...guilty as charged (this may or may not be my profile song on MySpace. That is if I even still had a MySpace page which I totally don't/do.)

Joanna Newsome: sure, i guess.

Joni: yes please

Any Mann: Funny thing. I was just playing this at work the other day and Moriah busted up to me and asked me why I was playing this "lesbian music." I didn't have a good answer.

Disk Two:

Bowie: yep

Basement Jaxx: tell me, should I really seek this out? No sarcasm here, just curious, because I hate all their art so I never listened to them. So maybe this is where Sam really raised my eyebrow. Good job.

Bonnie Raitt: absolutely

Phoenix: nice pants and all, but little else. Please see Hall and Oates if you 're more comfortable getting your soul music from crackers.

Bebel: have you been to Europe? cause I totally have...

T-Rex: the correct answer was "Mambo Sun"

Hall and Oates: not exactly what I had in mind earlier, but the inclusion of this truly speaks volumes about Sam in so many ways.

Melvern: why more people don't know this by heart confuses me.

Belle and Sebastion: fag

Yeah Yeah Yeahs: next

Jay Z: ok

Stelly Dan: a nice pairing with Hall and Oates

Gilbert O'Sullivan: I would also accept "Patches" by Clarence Carter.

Gerry Rafferty: This is another shining moment on this mix tape. At this point you're already doing it for life. I'm standing and clapping.

Lou Reed: sure

Kelis: yup. whore.

Fleetwood Mac: yes

Cody Chesnutt:Is it just me, or is 2.0 with the Roots actually better? I don't want to blow my indie cred cover, but some things are better when not recorded in your girlfriends apartment on a 4-track.

Kevie Kev: i don't even know what this is, but his name is dumb and it's also part of the song title. Wait...that might mean he's awesome. I'm confused....PASS.


Hot Butter: chase scene. Should have been the opener. This is like farting on your girlfriend's leg post-coitis. Which always happens, so this is why I'll accept this.

Here's my mix:

Side One: I'm trying to get in to your pants.

The Kinks: We Are The Village Green Preservation Society
David Bowie: Moonage Daydream
Gruff Rhys: Candy Lion
Luke Temple: Make Right With You
Tom Petty: Wildflowers
Bonnie Raitt: Lovers Will
George Harrison: Isn't It A Pity
Bobby Vinton: Blue Velvet
Roberta Flack: Gone Away
Simon and Garfunkel: So Long, Frank Lloyd Wright
Supergrass: Low C
The Flamingos: I Only Have Eyes For You
The Beach Boy's: G-d Only Knows
Sam Cooke: A Change Is Gonna Come
Mott The Hoople: All The Young Dudes
Paul McCartney: Maybe I'm Amazed


Side Two: Songs we dance to in the kitchen after we've moved in together.

Spoon: Everything Hits At Once
Hall and Oates: Rich Girl
David Bowie: Sound and Vision
Prince: Let's Go Crazy
Melvern Taylor: Love Songs For Losers
Nat King Cole: L-O-V-E
Fats Domino: Blueberry Hill
Brendan Benson: Tiny Spark
Cornershop: Sleep on The Left Side
Electric Light Orchestra: Don't Bring Me Down
Beck: Profanity Prayers
Sade: Smooth Operator
Marmalade: I See The Rain
Suggie Otis: Inspiration Information
The Beatles: Dear Prudence
The Kinks: Picture Book
The Platters: The Great Pretender

Best
-spence

Spencer said...

Also, I'm glad to see that you're still using my HI-FI.

EmilyDawn said...

Jack Johnson is gross.

Samantha ampersand (sometimes) Justin said...

your gross, and your right about j.j.